Why Youth Are Protesting Against Agneepath Yojana?

Agnipath protest
Protest Against Agnipath Yojana: pc- Amar Ujala

About Agneepath Scheme:

Agneepath Army Yojana is a scheme unveiled by The Centre on Tuesday 14th,2022. Under this scheme, youngsters of age 17.5 to 21 will be enabled to any of the three services in the Indian Army for a period of 4 years and these youngsters will be known as Agniveer. Around 46,000 troops are expected to be hired this year.

Why was the Agneepath scheme unveiled?

The primary reason for recruitment policy is to decrease the government expenditure on pensions of the Armed force as it alone takes up about 25% of defence budget, which leaves behind fewer funds to purchase weapons and improve the technology used in the modernization of the Armed Force.

Then, other reasons include bringing up the military disciplines and feeling of Nationalism. It will also help in enhancing the skills and fitness of youth. As well as it will increase the resource-use of the budget in the development of services.

Why Youth are protesting against the scheme?

The main reason behind the protest is to take back the Agneepath Scheme. As this scheme proposed that out of 100% of aspirants about 25% of aspirants will get the chance to serve the Army full time. Whereas, the other 75% of aspirants will get 4years to serve. This scheme has created a fear of getting unemployed after 4years of service among the aspirants. Protesters said that the “Modi Government has fooled them once again, Even if we get appointed, what will we do after four years?”

This protest took place in 11 states including Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana, Telangana, Odisha, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Jharkhand, and Assam. In a few states, this protest turned violative under which trains and public properties were put on fire.

According to Railway officials, about 229 mail and express trains and 254 passenger trains were canceled on Sunday due to the agitations. Over 800 protesters were arrested under large-scale violence and arson. Bihar government has suspended internet services in 20 districts till 24th June 2022. The suspension of the internet and high security has brought down the violation. Any Anti-social elements are not able to spread any kind of false message or rumors to agitate the public.

Many organizations and Aspirants opposing the Agneepath Scheme have called for Bharat Band on Monday, June 20th, 2022. Due to this schools and offices remain closed in states like Bihar, Jharkhand, and Punjab. This protest is between Aspirants and the Government but it’s affecting common people’s work and peace.

The IN Times:

1 comment
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts